- Shipping Rates & Preferences
- E-mail Confirmations
- Foreign Shipments
- South Dakota & Utah
- Maryland & Washington
- State Sales Tax and Rules
Shipping Rates & Preferences
All winnings are shipped at fixed cost based on your shipping method preference:
- Economy: $7.99
- UPS Ground: $10.99 (Due to UPS policy, little cigars may not be shipped via UPS.)
- USPS Priority Mail: $11.99
- UPS 3 Business Day: $11.99
- UPS 2nd Business Day: $16.99
- UPS Next Day: $26.99
Some exceptions apply, as in the case of items shipped from 3rd party vendors, oversized, and non-standard packages. Any such exceptions will be indicated in the product and shipping description.
PO Boxes, APO/FPO addresses, and US Territories must ship via USPS and may incur additional delivery times. Upgrade options are not available.
Daily vs. Once-per-week Shipping
You have the option through your account Shipping Frequency profile to select Daily or Weekly (once-per-week) shipping of your winning bids. Then, bidders who win multiple items during the same period will receive REDUCED shipping charges. All such savings will be reflected on your Consolidated Order Summary Invoice.
- By selecting DAILY as your shipping preference, all winning bids are shipped within 1-2 business days from the day you receive your Consolidated Shipping Invoice.
- By selecting WEEKLY as your shipping preference, your winning bids will accumulate over the period of one week and shipped within 1-2 business days. For example, if you select Tuesday as your weekly shipping day, all lots closing the previous Tuesday through Monday will be processed Tuesday morning and shipped within 1-2 business days. Clear as mud? Good.
- Sorry, we cannot hold packages won on different invoices to be shipped together.
- Changing your shipping preference takes effect immediately. For example, if your current preference is DAILY and you change it to WEEKLY, your orders will be held until your desired processing day (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday) for WEEKLY shipments. You can only change your shipping frequency once every 7 days.
Orders ship within 1-2 business days from the receipt of your Order Summary Invoice and you can expect arrival within 2-6 days after shipment, depending on your location. Shipping times are not guaranteed.
Shipping charges are re-calculated on each invoice to factor in these savings. Therefore, the automatic winning bid confirmations you receive via email after a lot closes will not reflect shipping charges. You should refer to the Consolidated Order Summary Invoice for actual charges.
Thompson Cigar Auctions does not ship outside of the United States.
South Dakota & Utah
Thompson Cigar Auctions does not ship products to South Dakota or Utah.
Maryland & Washington
- Due to Maryland State regulations, we cannot ship little cigars to Maryland residents.
- Due to Washington State regulations, we cannot ship little cigars or loose tobacco to Washington residents.
State Sales Tax and Rules
We are required to collect and remit sales tax in the following states. Remittance of any other state’s taxes is the responsibility of the purchaser.
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- Washington DC
- West Virginia
- Thompson Cigar does not collect sales or use tax on purchases made from Louisiana.
- Louisiana requires Thompson Cigar and other retailers to notify purchasers that sales via the Internet, catalog, or other remote means are subject to use tax.
- Louisiana requires residents making a purchase for shipment into the state to file a tax return at the end of the year reporting all taxable purchases that were not taxed, and to pay use taxes on those purchases.
What is HAZMAT?
HAZMAT is an abbreviation for "hazardous material". Lighters and butane are good examples of HAZMATs that are frequently sold at Thompson Cigar Auctions. The FAA restricts and regulates HAZMAT shipments. If your shipping address conflicts with FAA regulations, you may see one of the following errors:
Restricted Delivery Areas
Due to FAA regulations, HAZMATs are prohibited to some shipping addresses. Lighters must be shipped via ground parcel services and therefore cannot be shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, FPO, APO, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Guam. Parcel shipments usually take up to 3 weeks to arrive.
Shipments to a PO BOX
Due to FAA regulations, lighters must be shipped via ground parcel services. Deliveries to a PO BOX address requires shipment through the US Postal Service (eg. PO Box) utilizing Priority Mail and First Class methods, which are prohibited. Therefore, a physical shipping address must be used.